Friday, October 19, 2012

My practice makes me practice focusing on my practice.

This morning I decided to climb back in bed and cuddle with the hub. It's not often we get a morning to do that as I'm usually up and out to the Shala early then off to work but today there was no "off to work" part afterwards so my brain ran through all the other options to take practice and decided under the covers was a good place to be. And it was, snuggling on a cool, fall morning can be just as restorative as time on my mat.

This afternoon my mini me had plans to shop for a Halloween costume with a friend which left me with 3 hours alone in the house a.k.a living room = yoga shala.

I did well keeping my mind clear most of the morning and just enjoying the time at home.
My monkey brain was the size of MoJo JoJo!
Then something struck me as rude, right before I transformed the living room, and try as I might each time I inhaled through my Surya Namaskaras, my mind wandered to that rudeness.

I like my get-up-at-4:20am-to-the-mat-by-5:15am routine. There's not much time to let any other thoughts in. Get up, get clean, get dressed, pour coffee. Drive, park, scan my key fob, roll out mat, practice. Admittedly, it is easier to keep my mind on my practice in a room full of ujjayi but the lack of intellectual stimuli that early in the morning has to be a factor.

Inhale - ugh is it just me or was that rude
Exhale - where is your drishti
Inhale - oh yeah right, drishti
Exhale - no it's not just you, if you did a facebook poll people would agree with you
Inhale - I would never put anything like that on facebook
Exhale - you're not on facebook, you're on your mat
Inhale - right mula bandha

and so it went for another 20 or so minutes

Inhale - heh, maybe this situation happened so I'd have to force myself to practice clearing my mind
Exhale - how's that working out for ya?
Inhale - I can't hear you, I'm focusing on my practice

Somewhere after my standing series I settled into the zone
Purvottanasana was amazing
Urdhva Dhanurasana felt really strong too

Practice is over now, and while I remember what it was that irked me
I'm no longer irked

No comments:

Post a Comment