Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oil-bath day

Several times over the past week, in several different scenarios with different people from different walks of life (getting the point here?)...the practice of oil-baths came up. The final mention was with my chiropractor who is still helping me calm down my sciatic nerve (which, by the way, is doing swimmingly and I only took one day off from practice because of it).

So I've read blogs
I've watched videos
I've spoken with a teacher at my shala
and today is oil-bath day.

I took care to purchase organic, odorless castor oil, added a few drops of my favorite essential oil, pulled out a mat and some towels to donate to the process and gave myself alone time while the hub and the mini me are working on a school project.

I started by warming my oil in a sink full of warm water as I spread my mat out in the bathroom and got ready. With intention on the crown of my head, I poured the warm oil onto my scalp then massaged it all over my head. It was a bit thicker than I expected so next time I may warm the oil longer.
My timer was set for 5 minutes and as I waited with the oil on my head, I took a body brush to my body giving extra time to areas where I am sore. The timer sang and it was time to apply the oil to the rest of my body. I had a bit of trouble reaching all parts of my back but within just a few minutes I was covered and my timer was set for an additional 10 minutes. By this time, I felt my scalp begin to get warmer and I noticed some warmth in my body as well. I rested in savasana on my mat and simply focused on my breath.

Once again the timer sang and it was time for my shower. I set the water as hot as I could and proceeded to rinse, giving an extra massage to my shoulders and my right hip. I followed up with a citrus castille soap which did the job of washing the oil from my body and hair quite nicely.

I'm now resting in comfortable clothes and all but melting into the couch.
My fears of oily residue were quelled and whether it was the oil bath, or the time spent in the hot shower that has me feeling so relaxed really doesn't matter...it is a ritual I can see adding to my week with no problem and actually one I will indeed look forward to.

Om Shanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment